[time-nuts] GPS over fibre optic. Help

Martyn Smith martyn at ptsyst.com
Thu Oct 1 19:32:41 UTC 2009

Hello,

I am using my GPS disciplined rubidium frequency standard with a fibre optic
transmitter and receiver.  The Tx and Rx is connected between the antenna
and the frequency standard with a meter of fibre optic cable.

The Tx and Rx devices are especially designed for the GPS frequency and are
very low jitter types.  The overall gain of the connection is 0 dB.

So I assumed my frequency standard would work as usual.

But I've noticed there is a frequency error if -3x10E-10 while using the
fibre optic link instead of the normal 1 x 10E-11 accracy (tau = 10
seconds).

Can anyone help here.  Is the fibre optic devices messing up the timing??

I know Fluke's unit has fibre optic connection as standard, so how do they
do it.

Regards

Martyn