[time-nuts] GPS from a window seat

Thomas A. Frank ka2cdk at cox.net
Sat Oct 3 07:31:08 UTC 2009

>  saying angrily "using a GPS on a
> plane is illegal".

Nonsense...unless their own rules prohibit such use, in which case
you are legally obliged to comply.  There is no blanket (ie:
government) rule against them.

It is up to the airline; in the past year I've flown a number of
different airlines.  Some said in their in-flight magazine that GPS
use was allowed, others said it wasn't, and some didn't say anything
at all.

For example, Southwest airlines specifically allows the use of GPS

US Airways implies they're OK, but is not explicit:

Either Jetblue or United prohibit GPS', but I cannot find anything on
their websites (they are the other two airlines I've recently flown,
so it's one of them where I saw the prohibition).

No rhyme or reason to it at all.

Tom Frank, KA2CDK
(frequent flyer...and gadget user)