[time-nuts] GPS from a window seat

Bill Hawkins bill at iaxs.net
Sun Oct 4 20:06:12 UTC 2009

Group,

This has been a most enlightening discussion. Thank you all for
participating.

Finally found the right words to use with Google (ban gps flight) to get a
list.
See Joe Mehaffey's list of airlines at
http://gpsinformation.net/airgps/airgps.htm
The list of airlines that allow GPS have the caveat that the Captain has the
final decision.

What I've learned from Joe and others is that there are not enough
technically
savvy people to make such technical decisions. You will not always get a
competent decision. But once it is a decision, you must live with it or live
with various law enforcement people. If a flight attendant says No, try
asking
to speak to the Captain, but not when the flight deck is busy.

As to interference with other GPS receivers, my son runs a deep-sea fishing
party
boat out of Ocean City, MD. He is famous for knowing where the fish will be.
There
may be 5 to 20 people on a 50' fiberglass boat using GPS units to log his
fishing
spots. He'd be delighted if those receivers interfered with each other. He
sees no
interference with his GPS navigation system.

Regards,
Bill Hawkins