[time-nuts] GPS from a window seat

Keith E. Brandt, WD9GET wd9get at amsat.org
Mon Oct 5 00:02:46 UTC 2009

See Joe Mehaffey's list of airlines at
[1]http://gpsinformation.net/airgps/airgps.htm
The list of airlines that allow GPS have the caveat that the Captain has the
final decision.

        It is interesting that American is listed as banning them as of
October 2009 (apparently they have switched back and forth on this
policy)...

   Earlier this week the Mehaffy list had American as approving GPS, but I
   checked the AA website earlier this week and it listed them as being
   banned. I contacted Mehaffey and maybe he updated the list after
   contacting AA. I'm flying AA this coming Friday, so I'll see how it
   goes. I flew up on Delta and used my Garmin Legend HCx in a window seat
   and it worked beautifully. My next leg was on a United Shuttle, and
   despite their website saying GPS was approved, the flight attendant
   specifically announced that they were not approved. I didn't push it
   since it was a 0.5 hr commuter flight.

   Col Keith E. Brandt, MD, MPH
   Chief, Aerospace Medicine Consultation Division
   Brooks City Base, San Antonio, Texas
   [2]keith.brandt at gmail.com
   Goodbye cruel world that was my home-
     there's cleaner space out here to roam
   Put my feet up on the moons of Mars-
     sit back, relax, and count the stars
   *This message transmitted with 100% recycled electrons