[time-nuts] GPS from a window seat

Mike Naruta AA8K aa8k at comcast.net
Mon Oct 5 20:13:48 UTC 2009

I can only draw on my experience in the past as
an avionics technician and Private PIC.

How about a different perspective on this?

Imagine that I bring aboard a "box of rocks" for
my entertainment.  It may be magnetic, radioactive,
or some such.  Now, these "rocks" could theoretically
influence the aircraft's navigation or communications
systems, but it "probably" won't, and no one has
been able to prove it ever caused an incident yet.

Now imagine that the majority of the passengers
are also unwilling to sit still for the duration
of the flight and have each brought their own boxes
of rocks to entertain themselves.

There should be no reason to be concerned, right?
You bet your life.

Why would you operate any device that might cause
a problem?  Your life probably isn't worth that
cell phone call or PC application.  And I am certain
that it isn't worth mine.