[time-nuts] Basic TIC measurement

Joseph Gray jgray at zianet.com
Wed Oct 7 05:08:01 UTC 2009

> Did you use a resistive splitter or just a tee to split the signal?

Just a tee. I have tees and terminators at each input of the 5315A as well.

I guess I could try using the multiple outputs on the back of the
Spectracom 8140, but that would introduce another variable -- the
outputs may not be exactly in phase. Also, isn't a pulse or square
wave better for doing TI measurements? What the heck. I may try that
just to see what happens :-)

> Either estimate it (use a circuit simulator) from the input impedance (R
> and C) and the signal transition times or find a TDR (expensive) to
> measure it.

Well, actually I can borrow a TDR. I'll have to read up on how to
measure reflection coefficient with it. The only time I ever used a
TDR was many years ago, in the Air Force.

Joe Gray
KA5ZEC