[time-nuts] Lady Heather and gpsd

Tim Cwik timenuts at stnhbr.com
Sun Oct 18 11:31:27 UTC 2009

On 10/17/2009 11:10 PM, Mark Sims wrote:
> At startup,  Heather configures the Tbolt to broadcast the timing packets,  GPS status,  and sat info packets every second.   Also several messages are sent to configure the user specified options and to request various status info.
>
> When a primary timing packet comes in,  she sends a message requesting one of a couple dozen other status packets in sequence.   The program does not wait for a response to a particular message.  If the data line to the Tbolt was cut after the program was initialized,  you would still get most of the data displays.
>
> The next version includes the ability to send a string of bytes to the unit upon initialization,  and another string of bytes whenever the primary timing packet comes in.

Thanks, Mark. This was the kind of information I was looking for. What
status packets does she request after each primary timing packet? Which
of the displays would I lose by cutting the data line after
initialization? I will try experimenting with this today, but there is
so much information there, I want to be sure what I will be missing.

Is LH dependent on precise arrival of the primary timing packet? Would
she notice if the packet were delayed but being intercepted by anothe
program (like gpsd) and then forwarded on? I guess the question is: Does
she measure anything about the timing of the packets or does she just
process the data in the packets?

Would you be able to share what data she requests after each primary
timeing packet? I wonder if gpsd could be modified to send the requests
for her so all LH would have to do is process in coming packets.

I looked through the archives and did not see if anyone had asked you
about a port to linux. Is that something you would consider?

Thanks for a great program. Using LH is adding greatly to my time-nuttiness.

73,
Tim
N2LTQ