[time-nuts] OT: Spectrum Analyzer

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sat Oct 31 12:26:45 UTC 2009

The HP8569 is a good moderate-price choice that goes up to 18GHz.  It's
new enough to have digital display, so you can do trace math like
normalization, and dump plots via GPIB.  However, you cannot set
commands via GPIB.

The LO is stabilized (not synthesized) so frequency accuracy isn't too bad.

One weakness is that the rotary switches have plastic components that
get brittle with age.  Pieces can snap off leaving some switch positions
non-functional.  However, these can be repaired with care.

I haven't priced one recently, but I would think you could find one in
the $2K range or possibly lower.

John
----