No subject

Fri Oct 9 21:52:43 UTC 2009

equivalents were never more than a method for comparing the design
revisions. The relationship to reality is quite bogus unless your tests are
an exact replication of the world the item will experience. Cost and
available time, not to mention the fact that each unit will have a different
life experience ( just like people), makes testing in the actual environment
difficult, and renders any extrapolation of test results to reality an
exercise in fantasy. Which explains why the marketing and upper management
types love it.

Most testing that produces MTBF figures is also based on hitting the
extremes of the environment such as temperature, rate of change of
temperature, and humidity. These usually are only loosely related to
reality, but are based, hopefully, on some real world data. It is the
correlation factor that is suspect.

My contention is that MTBF is only valid when based on data from the units
operating in the field, and is essentially after-the-fact. By that time,
what's done is done. If you have real world experience with a statistically
valid number of units, then you can determine MTBF with some confidence.
Otherwise, it is just a SWAG. But it can be a useful SWAG for comparison
purposes.

Frankly, I would distrust any outfit that puts it into their advertising
without some sort of disclaimer regarding how it was determined, and the
ubiquitous YMMV.

Regards,

Tom Holmes, N8ZM
Tipp City, OH