[time-nuts] More Z3801/Tbolt comparisons

Roy Phillips phill.r1 at btinternet.com
Fri Sep 4 15:31:14 UTC 2009

Nigel
I must say that much of what you have stated is right, I have a 53131A
counter and the basic time-base is a joke, but agreed, we mostly use a
common external reference with our instruments.
There are some exceptions, as I am finding with a very recently purchased
HP 8657A Sig. Gen. that has the option 001 oven oscillator. This is a 1998
production (made in the US), the TCXO would seem to be a very stable device
with coarse and fine adjustment - after running for 48 hours its holding 10
Mhz to ^10. In fact it would seem to be somewhat better than the TCXO in my
Marconi 2024 Sig. Gen. - - hence my singing the praises of HP.
The large number of Racal 199# on the UK market in recent times are I would
suggest, ex UK military issue and as portable instruments have probably had
a rough life, and have frequently been stored for ten years in somewhat poor
environments. I would suggest that buying equipment that has come from a
commercial origin, and has been part of a rack test set-up, have been better
cared for and sometimes have had very little use. What do you others think
about this theory ?
Roy