[time-nuts] HP 5071A Electron Multiplier of Cesium Beam Tube

J. Forster jfor at quik.com
Sun Sep 6 17:04:35 UTC 2009

Cesium is pretty reactive and could likely be stripped off chemically and
the CBT tube cleaned.

People can make simple triodes at home (with a lot of stuff). There were
guys 'rebuilding' CRTs in the late 50s at home. However a CBT or other
things with electron multipliers are FAR from a simple triode. You not
only need exquisite vacuum technique, but also to be able to activate the
electron multiplier. These are non-trivial things to do, even for large,
expert companies. I was told by a guy at Varian that they typically did
three tube starts for every one delivered on image intensifiers, which
have MCP multipliers.

This is part of the reason I've never bought a used Cs standard. Most
likely it's a $$$ doorstop, and always will be.

FWIW,
-John