[time-nuts] HP 5071A Electron Multiplier of Cesium Beam Tube

Mike Monett xde-l2g3 at myamail.com
Mon Sep 7 18:19:50 UTC 2009

  "John Miles" <jmiles at pop.net> wrote:

  > It's an  HP  3048A.  I   have  long  held  vague  ambitions toward
  > replacing it with a homebrew digital system but it hasn't happened
  > yet.

  > john, KE5FX

  Thanks, John. You have a fortune in first-class equipment!

  From your previous post:

  >> But the  output phase noise, at least, is well within  specs (-88
  >> dBc/Hz at 1 Hz in short time constant mode, spec=-82  dBc/Hz, and
  >> 105 in  LTC  mode, which is actually better than  the  -96 dBc/Hz
  >> spec for the option-004 tube.)

  The -105 dBc/Hz at 1Hz looks pretty good. Is that measured  with the
  internal reference  in the 11848A? Or can it even get down  that low
  at 1Hz?

  If not,  I see from your web site you have a Wenzel  80MHz  ULN. Did
  you use  that for the reference? If so, did you ever  find  out what
  was causing  the ~10dB excess noise in the  regenerative  divider on
  your web page at

  http://www.thegleam.com/ke5fx/regen.htm

  Lots of good info on your site.

  Thanks,