[time-nuts] HP 5328 PSU nightmare... Or stupid engineer, you decide...

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 05:08:12 UTC 2009

Hi,
I use a Variac routinely to turn on instruments that have been unused
for more than a few months.
Electrolytic capacitors will often come good if slowly brought up to
voltage.
Recently I resurrected a WW2 "Command" receiver that had been stored
for 40 years.
I hooked up a power supply and set it to 10% of line voltage and
increased it 10% at hourly intervals.
Slowly warming up the device gives the electrolytics to form up, even
the paper capacitors get a
chance to warm and dry out a bit.
For fault finding, starting at zero volts you can watch the
rectifiers start to take up the load, the
voltage regulators cut in when the supply reaches the regulation
voltage and generally locate
any overloads before the smoke gets out.
The main problem is with switching regulators that abruptly cut in at
some voltage,
a series tungsten filament lamp helps with them to avoid smoke release.
It always pays to turn it on slowly.

cheers,
Neville Michie