[time-nuts] Are cable delays frequency dependent?

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Sat Sep 12 21:50:48 UTC 2009

Magnus Danielson wrote:

>>> For measurements of the dispersion (variation of propagation delay with
>>> frequency) of coaxial cable in the RF region see:
>>> http://www.ece.vt.edu/swe/lwa/memo/lwa0136.pdf
>>>
>>> Bruce
>>>

>> The above paper indicates that where the skin effect dominates the cable
>> propagation delay dispersion (probably the case for all coax in the RF
>> region except perhaps when superconductors are used),  the dispersion
>> can be estimated from the variation of cable loss with frequency.
>
> Skin effect is pretty apparent when doing TDR of sufficient
> resolution. The skin effect has the effect that it dies off with time,
> as the reverse field is inductive and depends on the change over time,
> but as the change stops so does the reverse EMF in the core. This can
> be seen when viewing a TDR trace or response of a squarewave of
> sufficient transient and with no ringing or impedance mismatch.
>
> Group delay is the derivate of the phase response, and the phase
> response varies when amplitude response changes.
>
> It is usually safe to assume the group delay is anything but flat.
> (Engineer approach, be safe by assume imperfections)
>
> Cheers,
> Magnus

The skin effect contributes a frequency dependent excess (over that when
the cable conductors have infinite conductivity) distributed inductance
to the cable, the variation of the distributed inductance with frequency
means that the cable propagation constant also varies with frequency.
Since the excess distributed inductance due to the skin effect decreases
as the frequency increases, the excess delay due to this excess
inductance decreases as the frequency increases.
Details are in the paper at the previously given URL.

Bruce