[time-nuts] Fundamental limits on performance

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Sep 13 17:03:43 UTC 2009

bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz said:

> Adding a 210ft diameter antenna to the spacecraft just to detect a
> sufficient number of pulsars is probably not an option.

> Unless a multibeam phased array is used simultaneous observation of
> several pulsars isnt possible.

What sort of frequencies do people use to listen to pulsars?

Do I need 210 ft for collecting area or pointing accuracy?  Would a big
phased array be useful and lighter?

Does anybody on Earth used phased arrays to listen to several pulsars
simultaneously?

> Kolmolgorov turbulence in the interstellar medium can cause all but
> the singals from the most distant pulsars to fade randomly.

Ugh.  Now I have to figure out what that means.  It looks interesting, but my
head hurts already.  Is there an analogy in the electrical world?