[time-nuts] Trimble Mini-T GPSDO

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Wed Sep 23 22:21:13 UTC 2009

Hi Nigel,

from what I heard from our customers (I have not had a unit to test myself,
 and do not have any comparative data), many if not most of these units
have  frequency jumps, and are not nearly as good as the Thunderbolt (which is
quite  good, and very well documented in the Time Nuts Archives).

If you plan to buy these new, there is apparently also an issue with
meeting delivery schedules, and having (hand-selected) sample/evaluation units
perform much better than actual mass-production units. One reason why several
of  our customers abandoned the Mini-T for our FireFly GPSDO's. Again this
is  second-hand information though.

Lastly, these unit's are all built using RoHs lead-free solder without the
option to use the Telecom exemption for leaded solder, so in my  opinion
reliability is at best reduced compared to Telecom  products still using
leaded solder due to the nasty tin-whiskering problem with  RoHs solder.

The above opinions are mine and not necessarily those of my employer  :)

Bye,
Said

In a message dated 9/23/2009 08:05:30 Pacific Daylight Time,