[time-nuts] Surplus Places...

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Thu Apr 1 04:32:09 UTC 2010

Well, there are more reasons for astounding prices. For example, Ebay was
a good place to get stuff, until it changed from a marketplace to a
virtual storefront. A bunch of buy it now's does not establish a
marketplace where prices can be determined. So the BIN's have prices that
seem outrageous.
Personally, I think some of the older instruments, although nice, are
becoming obsolete. See QEX for some examples. For $300-500 a universal
front end, called a PC, can serve a bunch of instruments, and do a lot of
other things as well. I've seen, but haven't built, soundcard driven
instruments such as oscilloscopes, impedance measurers (is that a word?)
and a lot more. Flexible software is easy to generate, and displays can
get as fancy as needed. Calibration and holding calibration seems the
biggest problem.
IMHO, older instruments built around microprocessors have digitally driven
parts such as attenuators, frequency sources,etc that might be adapted to
PC's through USB adapters. Anyone done that?

Just an idle thought, but is there a group somewhere in netspace where
this kind of info is collected?
Pardon the sort of mind fart...
Don Latham

jimlux