[time-nuts] Yukon power

Dick Moore richiem at hughes.net
Thu Apr 8 18:42:31 UTC 2010

On Apr 8, 2010, at 11:23 AM, time-nuts-request at febo.com wrote:

> Message: 8
> Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 11:22:58 -0700
> From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard at karlquist.com>
> Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Yukon Energy causes time sync problems
> To: "Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement"
> 	<time-nuts at febo.com>
>
> This reminds me of something a power company engineer
> once told me:
>
> "High frequency" is 61 Hz.  "Low frequency" is 59 Hz.

I remember being in the powerhouse at Bonneville Dam on the Columbia River in the mid-fifties and seeing round-bezel vibrating reed frequency meters with 5 reeds in 0.5Hz steps -- 59, 59.5, 60, 60.5, 61. The square ends of the reeds were painted white to make them easier to see, and they had about a 1/4" p-p motion at center freq. Don't know if they were part of a control loop or just monitors. Tallies well with what the engineer told Rick.

Dick Moore