Dave M dgminala at mediacombb.net
Thu Apr 8 22:54:06 UTC 2010

>> Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 11:22:58 -0700
>> From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard at karlquist.com>
>> Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Yukon Energy causes time sync problems
>> To: "Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement"
>> <time-nuts at febo.com>
>>
>> This reminds me of something a power company engineer
>> once told me:
>>
>> "High frequency" is 61 Hz.  "Low frequency" is 59 Hz.
>
> I remember being in the powerhouse at Bonneville Dam on the Columbia
> River in the mid-fifties and seeing round-bezel vibrating reed
> frequency meters with 5 reeds in 0.5Hz steps -- 59, 59.5, 60, 60.5,
> 61. The square ends of the reeds were painted white to make them
> easier to see, and they had about a 1/4" p-p motion at center freq.
> Don't know if they were part of a control loop or just monitors.
> Tallies well with what the engineer told Rick.
>
> Dick Moore

An old military sudio oscillator, the TS-382, had a similar frequency meter
on the front panel to check accuracy of the  frequency dial.  It had only
two reeds; one for 60 Hz, the other for 400 Hz.  The user adjusted the
frequency dial at 60 Hz or 400 Hz for max vibration amplitude on the meter,
and checked the dial position for accuracy.  It was crude, and only offered
two check points, but better than nothing.
That oscillator was a wein bridge oscillator, quite similar to the HP-200
series design.  Built in typical military fashion; like a tank.

David
dgminala at mediacombb dot net