[time-nuts] repairing Maser threads

J. L. Trantham jltran at att.net
Wed Apr 14 02:26:01 UTC 2010

I am just getting home and have read all the replies so far.

Have you tried just replacing the bolts?  New bolts with new threads with
old hole and old threads may work better than the old bolts with old
threads.  It won't be perfect but might get you by.

Another option along the helicoil line is to bore a larger hole, tap it with
whatever, get a piece of tubing of the appropriate material and thickness,
tap the external surface to match your larger hole and thread and tap the
inside surface with the M5x0.8 thread.  Make a 'slot' in the end so you can
insert and remove with a screw driver.

This all depends on what the size, shape, thickness, etc., you have to work
with.

Good luck.

Joe