[time-nuts] [OT] degausing

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Fri Apr 16 01:24:51 UTC 2010

David Martindale wrote:

> However, I don't see how the earth's tilted field prevents a CRT from being
> used in both hemispheres.  I can see how it might need to be realigned,
> since it uses permanent magnets on the yoke and their field will be
> influenced by the earth's local field.  But a different model for the
> southern hemisphere?

It has to be made somewhere, and if that somewhere has a magnetic field
that points in the opposite direction, of where the CRT is going to be
used, it is going to be aligned wrong.  The answer can be as simple as
readjusting the magnets on the CRT.

The real solution is to put the CRT in a magnetic shield.

-Chuck Harris