[time-nuts] Thunderbolt temperature anomaly

Arthur Dent golgarfrincham at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 18 15:16:38 UTC 2010

I had a thunderbolt that displayed a temperature reading of -54.99°C, which
I was pretty sure wasn't correct. ;-)   Apparently the reference in the DS1620
chip either shorted or opened so this "D" revision chip was outputting its
lowest possible reading. I replaced it with a "C" revision chip that I found
(date code 9710C2) and it works great.

So If you have an "E" revision DS1620 chip that displays the temperature in steps
and you want to replace it, either a "C" or a "D" revision chip appears to work
as a replacement. Trimble apparently started using the "E" revision chip around
mid 2004.
                       -Arthur