[time-nuts] Frequency Stability of An Individual Oscillator:Negative Values?

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Thu Apr 22 21:32:14 UTC 2010

Hi

How to treat a negative is up to you, it's obviously indicating a "not real"
outcome. Zero is also a "not real" for realizable oscillators. Most simply
note the result as "below floor", drop it, and proceed.

Since the variability of the data is driving the negative results, it's
unlikely that another approach will massively improve things (with the same
data set). The practical answer is to use oscillators with closer noise
performance to reduce the scatter or to improve the data collection method
if it's the limiting factor.

Bob