[time-nuts] Thunderbolt Power Supply Question

Arthur Dent golgarfrincham at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 27 00:26:40 UTC 2010

Bob Camp-"In addition to the influence of the voltage on the oscillator, the voltage
change also impacts the temperature control circuit. Most OCXO's control current
through the heater rather than power in the heater. As you drop voltage, the power
being controlled drops. The net effect is a change in control loop gain. A 10% change
probably isn't going to massively degrade stability. A 2:1 change probably would be
an issue."

I'm not sure of the point here. No one is suggesting running the Thunderbolt's +12VDC
supply outside of the specified limits. My point in dropping the +12 was as a diagnostic
procedure to show that there was an internal regulator to feed the oscillator circuit and
that an external regulator that some posters had suggested (or asked about) probably
wasn't necessary.
                                                         -Arthur