[time-nuts] HP 5335A and HP-IB (GP-IB)

Brian Kirby kilodelta4foxmike at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 03:56:15 UTC 2010

I do not have a 5335A, but...

I use a ProLogix USB-GPIB adapter on a HP5370.  I am not doing anything
fancy, no real controlling.  I set the GPIB on the 5370B to talk, then
use John Miles GPIB Configuration program for the adapter.  John KE5FX
is on this list and has a web site with several GPIB programs that work
with this adapter.  After running the configuration program, you close
it, then bring up a terminal emulator - HyperTerminal built into Windows
- and capture the data.

If you are going after Time Interval /Allan Variance, etc - data, there
are two free programs out there, Alavar, and Plotter.  Plotter is
written by Ulrich Bangert , who is also on this list and also has a few
other programs of interest.

In my case, it is stupid simple and works great, works every time.

I also had a Softmark controller - It would not play with the 5370B - I
believe the SOftmark is set up to work only with SCPI capable
instruments, which is the newer instrument protocol.  It did work with a
HP53131A - but you don't need it, the 53131A has GPIB and RS232, and you
can get about the same data out of both ports - but the GPIB port is
very fast, if you need to acquisition data at a high rate.  My SOftmark
card has been in the drawer for the last three years - if anybody wants
it, I can probably make them a good deal on it - if there is an
interest, please contact off list.

Brian - KD4FM