[time-nuts] Simulation

Javier Herrero jherrero at hvsistemas.es
Sat Aug 14 16:39:57 UTC 2010

Hello,

I've read at least two similar stories in "Troubleshooting Analog
Circuits" by Bob Pease.

One is that it seems that some time ago, National Semiconductor started
shipping LF411s marked as LF351s as an "improvement"... and as Bob says,
most of the customers probably were happy with that (I think that most
of them probably never noticed the change), but the gain on the trim
circuit was reversed (in the LF351, if you turn the trim pot in one way,
Vos increases - in the LF411, turning it in the same way makes Vos to
decrease), and this probably would have made some people not so happy
with the improvement :)

Another story is about 2N3771 transistor, initially a single-diffussed
part, but later an epitaxial base part - with a lot more gain bandwidth
product. But since the 'new' 2N3771 meets and exceeds original 2N3771
specs, the same part number was used - but the part is quite different
(and published specs continues being the JEDEC ones). So you can imagine
that in some applications it would be quite a lot of difference if you
breadboard with the older, and during the manufacturing phase you
(probably without knowing it) switch to the new part.

I suffered some time ago a change in a small DSP from Freescale. It is a
3.3V part with 5V tolerant I/O, and I assumed (not sure if this was in
the datasheet or not) that reset pin was also 5V tolerant. Prototypes
worked, and production worked, but after 2-3 years of production, and
from some DSP production date code, we experienced a problem with the
part reset - the part did no longer liked the 5V level at the reset pin.
I asked Freescale about any change, but never got any response.

I periodically receive PCNs (product change notifications) from EBV
Elektronik, which is a quite big european semiconductor distributor,
whenever some product that I'm purchasing or have purchased in the past
suffers some manufacturing change (manufacturing moved to other plant,
process change, case materials change, etc...), like for example this
one:
http://www.ebv.com/fileadmin/templates/scripts/pcn/data/200907002f__1248209503.pdf
But I suppose that not all manufacturers are so kind to let the
customers know in advance these kind of things :)

Best regards,

Javier