[time-nuts] Re frequency counters

Stephen Farthing squirrox at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 22:13:33 UTC 2010

Guys,

My needs are pretty simple, i need to put the output frequency of my qrss
beacons into a 100 hz sub band within my chosen band of operation - mostly
30 meters. The beacon puts out a morse id in the form of a 4 Hz square wave
with a dot length of 3 secs or more. With a calibrated frequency counter
accurate to 1 Hz this is a breeze. So a simple eyeball check is ok...though
a simple logging capability would be handy so I can   see how the output
frequency varies with temperature. I am pretty sure I can do it all with a
simple microcontroller and an LCD display plus a prescaler. Time to break
out the Arduino..and cut some code...

FWIW QRSS is a weak signal mode, it is possible for signals < 100 mW to be
received  globally. My beacon uses a mere 3 transistors and a crystal plus a
handful of passive components. It puts out 100 mW.

72/3 de Steve g0xar

--
It is vain to do with more that which can be done with less.