[time-nuts] Phase noise measurement (was - no subject)

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Tue Aug 24 20:03:11 UTC 2010

Having a simple method of determining the preamp frequency response can
be a useful diagnostic tool during development, particularly if one uses
componets like super capacitors in the amplifier signal path.

If one doesnt have a suitable offset source handy the mixer ports can be
driven in near quadrature by the same signal and the dc output as a
function of the relative phase shift between the 2 mixer inputs can be used.

However neither method calibrates the phase noise frequency response of
the system.
Adding RF noise to one of the mixer inputs can be used to measure the
frequency response of the system.
If the RF noise source is uncalibrated but stable then it can be used to
measure the relative frequency response.
The results of a dc (or beat frequency) measurement of the gain can then
be used to correct the results to obtain a calibrated frequency response.

If one is using a capacitive or other non conventional mixer IF port
termination, then knowing the relative frequency response can be vital.

Bruce