[time-nuts] Better GPS

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Aug 28 00:22:41 UTC 2010

On 08/27/2010 07:03 PM, Brooke Clarke wrote:
> Hi Bob:
>
> The ultimate is a carrier phase GPS Timing receiver. The early work was
> done using Ashtech Z12 models that have a provision for an external 10
> MHz oscillator. I have a feeling that the units you're talking about are
> a refinement of this approach.
>
> The new L5 frequency of GPS, intended for FAA use, will allow for
> civilian two frequency ionosphere corrections in a more straight forward
> way than the existing methods (squaring, Ashtech) of using L2 without
> knowing the P(Y) crypto keys.
> http://www.prc68.com/I/DAGR.shtml#GPSs

The L2C alongside L1 C/A and L5 would allow three-frequency
observations. You would always benefit from doing P(Y) observations
along-side. A modern receiver would be able to make at least 5
observations from the most modern birds, 4 from many and just 3 from the
older birds.

Modern receivers may also support GLONASS so an additional 3
observations may be done.

Cheers,
Magnus