[time-nuts] homebrew H maser

EWKehren at aol.com EWKehren at aol.com
Sun Aug 29 17:19:37 UTC 2010

Do we know any thing about the Neuchatel design for Galileo?
Bert Kehren

In a message dated 8/29/2010 11:05:58 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
phk at phk.freebsd.dk writes:

In  message <4C7A6B01.3030908 at rubidium.dyndns.org>, Magnus Danielson
writes:
>On 08/29/2010 03:55 PM, Attila Kinali wrote:

>It's a  complicated field and several traps to fall into on the way. It
>is a  fairly sizeable project to attempt.

Well, as with so much else, it  depends what the level of ambition is.

If you just want to be able to  point to the resonance and say "I
did that", it is not intrinsically hard  and none of the materials
are hard to get hold of or particularly  poisonous.

Few of the problems Ramsey fought in the early 1950'ies are  relevante
today, for instance, the entire detection issue is trivially  solved
with USRP/GnuRadio.

I would tend to think that $10k in  materials would get you pretty
close.

I think the most recent  H-maser design is Neuchatels design for
the Galileo GNSS.

Building a  _good_ (ie: metrology grade) hydrogen maser, sounds like
the last  significant thing you did in your life, however many years
you have  left...

Poul-Henning

PS: And if you even manage to build  something which works half the
time, and do not suffer from ethics, there  is a finite but very
profitable market for audiopholery, and I'm sure  somebody is willing
to eliminate the last traces of jitter in his CD-player  for just
under $100k...

--
Poul-Henning Kamp     | UNIX since Zilog Zeus 3.20
phk at FreeBSD.ORG     | TCP/IP since RFC 956