[time-nuts] FW: H Maser project.

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Tue Aug 31 16:58:26 UTC 2010

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 10:50:19 +0100
"Clive Green" <cgreen at quartzlock.com> wrote:

> If some nuts are seriously interested in building masers….it might just be
> doable as a collective.

Well, quite a few people on this list did consider it :-)

Interestingly, up until now, everyone who asked about whether
it is possible or not got told that it is way too much work.
Now everyone says that it is quite possible :-)

And yes, IMHO it's a too big project for someone alone.

> Knowing who could do what etc and how many are in the US and EU (or
> elsewhere) would be a great help.

I'm in Switzerland and if we do something like this, count me in :-)
I'm electrical engineer by profession, though still young
and inexperienced.

> The group has touched on some of the problems, BUT, only some.

Of course. Most of the problems are not mentioned anywhere in
the literature, because they are "not interesting" for those
skilled in the art of building masers.

> We are involved in trying to rescue the Galileo space & ground clock
> problem….must be in EU…..not Russian based as now.

Uhm.. i don't quite understand what you want to say here.
This didn't exactly start from Galileo, or it's H maser.
(The one question mentioning Galileo was a side question
on how their passive maser for the SV is designed)

> I would be happy to host a meeting in UK for any EU Nuts and in US at PTTI
> or FCS and welcome any direct approaches.

That would be great!

> QL would have to protect the IPR of its major software investment in an FPGA
> or PIC, but these components would be available on a secured basis to the
> group.

Well, IMHO if the algorithms behind the devices is known, then
writing these from scratch is not much of a problem. Especially
if there are the QL firmware files to first get the hardware up
and running (and verifying that the hardware does what it is supposed
to do).

> We have full maser workshop manual for viewing here…no physics drawings….but
> lots of inside track.

That might be very intersting to visit.

			Attila Kinali

--