[time-nuts] NMEA 0183

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 02:04:00 UTC 2010

A quick over view
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NMEA_0183

more details
http://gpsinformation.org/dale/nmea.htm

Because NMEA is plain ascii text you can send it to a text file and read it
to see what you are getting .   Devices do not send all posable
sentences they send a subset or maybe 8 or 12 or less every second.
Many devices allow you to program the subset that is actually sent.

I once owned a sailboat that had a dozen NMEA compatible devices.
It took some effort to find a common subset.  GPS, wind sensors,
water speed sensors, radars and autopilots all use NMEA

Another good source of information is the manufacturer's web sites.
Not just GPS makers but any marine electronics that uses NMEA, the
data will be in some apendix of a user manual

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 5:29 PM, Jim Conley <jim at commo.com> wrote:
> I have a copy of NMEA 0183 Versions 2.30 and 3.00.
>
> I will send any specific information on a sentence or sentence structure,
> however I will not copy a complete page.  This is a copyrighted document of
> about 100 pages and NMEA still sells the document.
>
> Jim Conley   N0OBG
>
> --
>

> The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
> but the heart of the fool to the left.
> Eccl 10:2 (NIV)

=====
Chris Albertson