[time-nuts] Z3801A/58503A Help

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Dec 1 06:38:18 UTC 2010

> I have run the Z38XX software but I dont really understand yet what the
> charts are telling me, outside of the sat signal strength and pattern.

There is lots and lots of info on the Z3801A out on the web.  (Time sink
warning.)  Here is a good place to start:
  http://www.realhamradio.com/GPS_Frequency_Standard.htm

google will find lots more.

I suggest getting a copy of the User's Guide and reading through it.  Here is
one.
  www.leapsecond.com/museum/z3801a/097-z3801-01-iss-1.pdf

> My biggest concern is that the power supply that came with the package is 24
> volts and the back of the box indicates that it requires a 36 to 60 volt
> power supply.

There are two versions of the Z3801A, one for 48V and one for 24V.  I assume
48 is telco and 24 is cell phone.  48 volts from lead acid batteries is
really 54 if they are fully charged.  (13.6 for your 12 V car)

Take the cover off and look inside to see what you really have.  (If you
haven't already taken the cover off, this is a good excuse.)  There is a
power supply board.  It's on top where you can see it without taking anything
else apart.  It's got a couple of DC-DC converter "bricks".  Maybe you can
find some input voltage ratings.

Most of those bricks will work over a wide input range, probably wider than
spec if you aren't pulling full rated output current.

Or ask the seller.