[time-nuts] reference oscillator input circuit

Robert LaJeunesse rlajeunesse at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 8 18:50:19 UTC 2010

Assuming a transformer coupled input (with biasing via a secondary center tap)
why not use a fast differential PECL to CMOS level translator? For example, the
IDT ICS508 will take 0.3 to 1.0 V p-p input and give 2.5, 3.3, or 5 V swing on
the output. The chip works down to DC and keeps the duty cycle in the 40%-60%
window up to 250MHz (at 3.3V out). Jitter and noise is not spec'd however.

To increase the noise immunity with a relatively slow 10MHz sine source I'd look
at boosting the amplitude with the transformer, then clipping with balanced
series resistors and back-to-back diodes so the translator sees a higher dV/dT
on its inputs.

Might want to look in some old Motorola ECL appnotes for other possible schemes.

Bob