[time-nuts] reference oscillator input circuit

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 22:42:26 UTC 2010

Of all the ways to "square" a sine wave I think the best might be to use a PLL.
the raising edge of your output square wave would trigger a sample of the
input sine wave.  The distance from zero volts of that sample is the
phase error.

The goal is to have the raising edge of the square wave happen just as the
sine crosses zero.  But if it's not dead-on you get an error signal that can be
either positive or negative and this error is low pass filtered and
then applied as
a correction.

But my guess is that if you are using this to feed a 'scope a
reference frequency
the scope will have it's own PLL.

--
=====