[time-nuts] Time Code generator

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 9 13:46:04 UTC 2010

Magnus Danielson wrote:
> On 12/08/2010 07:18 PM, jimlux wrote:
>> Chris Albertson wrote:
>>> Adding time code to video would be redundant. All video is already
>>> time coded.
>> All *digital* video is timecoded..
>
> No, not all digital video. The time-code is optional in many of the
> transfer formats.

You're right.. I was thinking more that analog certainly isn't always
timecoded, but at least for digital, there's an inherent frame counter,
and dropped/doubled/partial frames are unusual in digital video systems.
  They're positively frequent in analog systems (esp consumer vhs!) But
you'd still get caught if the frame rate isn't the same across your
system (which is often the case)

Consumer gear also usually doesn't have any ability to gen-lock.

>> It's been 12 years since I sat in an edit bay, so I'll bet that analog
>> gear is pretty much out of the picture by now, though.
>
> Analog black-bursts is still here.

I think that's the video equivalent of the 10MHz reference distribution.