[time-nuts] Timing over low bandwidth channels

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 9 14:16:12 UTC 2010

Hal Murray wrote:
>> If you can indeed track a 1W signal from ~ Colorado, there might indeed be
>> some timing use for the system.
>
> I have a start at understanding how much data you can get through a channel.
> There is a tradeoff between data rate and error rate and it depends on the
> signal/noise ratio.

That's the Shannon bound.. (or Shannon-Hartley)..
C = B*log2(1+S/N)

You can get pretty darn close (hundredths of a dB) to this limit with
coding.

> Is there a similar sort of high level picture about sending timing info?  I'm
> not even sure what the units are.

That's a bit trickier to conceptualize... In the data bit case, you can
work at the "one bit" scale.. and say something about the probability
that the bit is wrong.  ANd, you can combine multiple bits and drive the
probability of an error over all those bits combined down.

But for "time" or "frequency" it's a bit trickier.  You have to specify
the time scale over which you're interested  (I suppose that relates to
the bandwidth in the Shannon formula).  But more to the point, in
digital communications there's a clear "two-state" thing..either the bit
is correct or it's not.   Time/Frequency has "degrees of wrongness"