[time-nuts] Got 60Hz?

Flemming Larsen oz6oi at yahoo.dk
Fri Dec 10 09:41:14 UTC 2010

I recently worked on a similar project, but wanted to create a 50 Hz output to be able torun a Mostek MK50250 clock chip in 24-hr/50Hz mode. I also wanted the stability of acrystal to avoid the daily variations of the local AC power source frequency.
I could easily have created 50 Hz from an accurate reference source, but I wanted to havea separate circuit which could run on a battery during power outages and in case of loss ofthe reference source.
To be accurate to one second in a 24-hour period the oscillator only has to be accurate to1 part in 86400, which is available in a relatively inexpensive 14-pin can type. If you picka convenient multiple of 60 Hz it is a simple matter to put together a divider chain. For anexample, you could use a 12 MHz oscillator with the C8051 board you mention to get120 Hz, then divide by 2 to get 60 Hz for your clock.
For long-term accuracy you could then divide the 60 Hz and compare it to your masterreference every second, 10 seconds, 100 seconds, etc. until you reach an error count ofplus or minus one count, then add or subtract one count from your clock oscillatordivider.
If you choose an oscillator that is slightly high in frequency, you would only have to subtractpulses every so often, which should be fairly simple to do.
This method is very similar to the old Master/Slave mechanical clocks, where the slaveclocks ran fast by a few seconds per day. They were then stopped at midnight until theywere started again by a pulse from the master clock when it reached 00:00:00.
-- Flemming Larsen