[time-nuts] Software defined spectrum analyzer

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Sat Dec 11 23:16:49 UTC 2010

Hi Luis:I, too, am curious. But I haven't opened it yet. I suspect
something like an FPGA feeding a fast a/d somewhere in the 50-70 MHz
range. That is, a decomposition.
There may be a synthesized LO and mixer to get to the 50 MHz.
The info on the website says or used to say something about an sdr
modified to act as a spectrum analyzer.
One of the things I like about the device that played a part in my
purchase is the availability of a 10 MHz reference input. as a good
time-nut that shows some serious engineering attention to accuracy.
Don

Luis Cupido
> Hi Don.
>
> I'm ultra curious of how they did it. How did they covered the
> full BW they have.
> Did you looked inside, or did they sent a block diagram?
> (...I was born curious... it is not a new symptom!)
>
> Luis Cupido.
> ct1dmk.
>

> Don Latham wrote:
>> I have one of the original analyzers, and I'm quite satisfied with it.
>> Note that there is a set of drivers so that the device can be used as,
>> say an SDR.
>> There's also a nice USB power meter available from Mini-Circuits for
>> about $700, although I do not have one.
>> Don
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Geraldo Lino de Campos"
>> <geraldo at decampos.net>

"Neither the voice of authority nor the weight of reason and argument are
as significant as experiment, for thence comes quiet to the mind."
R. Bacon
"If you don't know what it is, don't poke it."
Ghost in the Shell

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLP
17850 Six Mile Road