[time-nuts] GPS for use with NTP server?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 05:57:34 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 7:44 PM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> How good is your antenna location?
>
> The newer units are probably more sensitive.
>
> If you get a unit with timing mode firmware, it will work with only one
> satellite.

I can place the antenna on ashort mast on rooftop with clear 360
degree view of the sky.
The antenna location is about as good as it gets.

I've downloaded and read some of the GPS user manuals.  The new ones are
12 channel and older ones are 5 or 8.    I guess with a surveyed location you
could get time from just one satellite.  But you'd need more if you wanted to
take account of the atmosphere.  I don't know if receivers do this.

But my question was about NTP and if NTP on a typical computer could make
use of 1PPS that is down in the nanoseconds
--
=====
Chris Albertson