[time-nuts] Modulation Analyzer to measure Phase Noise ?

Roberto Barrios rbarrioss at msn.com
Wed Dec 15 22:29:31 UTC 2010

Hi,

How good can be a Modulation Analyzer (such as the R&S FAM, which I happen
to have one) for measuring phase noise?

Since it measures phase modulation, it should be able to somehow measure
phase noise, right?. Assuming it is using a low noise reference, how useful
is it for roughly comparing phase noise of relatively clean 10Mhz
oscillators? What are the best settings, regarding  detector type and
filters?

I uploaded the FAM specs here, just in case someone wants to check them:
http://www.rbarrios.com/public/FAM_specs.pdf

Thank you,
Roberto EB4EQA