[time-nuts] Frequency counter recommendation

Javier Herrero jherrero at hvsistemas.es
Sun Dec 19 17:52:08 UTC 2010

El 19/12/2010 16:35, jimlux escribió:

> I hate cards that plug into a PC.  The PC bus respin cycle is much too
> short, and you have device drivers, etc. to worry about.  At work, we
> use rack mounted PCs to control a bunch of test equipment.  Since
> we're doing spacecraft stuff, the "design use life" of the rack is 2-3
> years, but it will be used beyond that, and often, will get reused for
> the next project.
>
> I've spent way too many hours hunting for another ISA bus machine, or
> trying to resurrect NT4.0, because there's no device drivers for
> anything newer.
>
> In my book, RS232 is fine for low end, Ethernet is even better, USB
> looks pretty good and has some staying power.  Folks implementing
> things on USB tend to use simple conceptual models (e.g. emulated
> serial port).
Exactly the same here - same application too :). I prefer to use in my
designs Ethernet as much as I can, and also CAN with simple
CAN-to-Ethernet gateways. I don't have too much confidence for USB in
these designs except if the layer is simple (like a serial over USB),
because of the need for special drivers that some devices need (that who
knows if would run OK on Windows 8.x that will be the one S.O. supported
in the new computer if the old must be replaced in 5 years - today, only
making some old things running under Windows 7 64-bit is a headache).

I try also to use Linux :) But sometimes the customer prefers Windows.

Regards,

Javier

Javier Herrero                            EMAIL: jherrero at hvsistemas.com
Chief Technology Officer
HV Sistemas S.L.                          PHONE:         +34 949 336 806
Los Charcones, 17                         FAX:           +34 949 336 792
19170 El Casar - Guadalajara - Spain      WEB: http://www.hvsistemas.com