[time-nuts] Frequency counter recommendation

Elio Corbolante eliocor at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 03:08:57 UTC 2010

> From: Mark Sims:
> A much simpler solution is to dedicate a $20 "obsolete" laptop to the
> Tbolt.  I use a 200 MHz Compaq Armada with 1024x768 screen.  I have also run
> Heather on a 90 MHz Fujitsu Milan with a 640x480 passive matrix screen.
> For bonus points,  tap off the internal laptop CDROM power connections (and
> possibly an internal -12V line) and power the Tbolt from that (you may want
> to filter the wazoo out of it).  Voila,  battery backed up Tbolt.  I know of
> one person who has an ancient,  steam powered laptop that had enough room
> inside it to mount the Tbolt circuit board totally inside the machine.

To me there are several reasons to not use an obsolete laptop... among them:
1) it requires enough space to be considered "annoying"
2) I have already too much cables around
3) It draws at least 20-30 times more energy than the 1 W required by my
circuit: maybe I'm too environmental conscious, but I do not like to waste
energy 24/7/365. Even because here in Italy the price of electrical energy
is the highest in Europe <http://www.energy.eu/>!
4) I need to keep the EMI reduced to a minimum: all of the electronics in
the laptop and its SMPS will generate lots of noise (especially if it is an
obsolete one: I have already tried this path!). My receivers prefer other
type of "noise" :-)
5) Most important one: I like to build things!

_     Elio.