[time-nuts] Loran?

Mike S mikes at flatsurface.com
Mon Dec 20 22:13:56 UTC 2010

At 04:39 PM 12/20/2010, Chris Albertson wrote...
>Well I guess we are getting "nuts" about this.  Yes OED says "radar
>orig. U.S. [f. radio detection and ranging.]" but that does not mean
>it is an acronym.   OED reserves the term "acronym" for words made
>using only the fist letter of each description word. "radar" uses the
>first two letters from "radio" and so OED uses only the "f."

Well, the word was a US creation, so the OED really doesn't apply.
Strange how none of the definitions mentions TIME.

Random House says:
"a word formed from the initial letters or groups of letters of words
in a set phrase or series of words, as Wac  from Women's Army
Corps,  OPEC  from Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries,  or
loran  from long-range navigation."

Webster's says:
"a word (as NATO, radar, or laser) formed from the initial letter or
letters of each of the successive parts or major parts of a compound
term; also : an abbreviation (as FBI) formed from initial letters "

The American Heritage New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy says:
"A word formed by combining the beginning letters of a name or phrase,
as in WASP for w hite A nglo- S axon P rotestant, or by combining the
initial syllables of a series of words, as in radar, which stands for
ra dio de tecting a nd r anging."