[time-nuts] My Garmin 18x, Ver 3.50, currently 1 second slow to UTC

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Dec 22 01:00:54 UTC 2010

> I noticed this morning that my Garmin 18x was giving the time 1 second slow
> to UTC - it has been running in sync with UTC for about 2 years now.

I assume it was working correctly previously.  If not...   At least one GPS
receiver I've used is off by a second.  There is an ambiguity as to whether
the time applies to the previous or next PPS.  I assume that's why they got
it wrong, but maybe they are just off by one for some other reason.

> So I wondered, any other folk out there with a Garmin 18x - is it 1 second
> slow to UTC ?

I've seen Garmin 18s (probably no x) be off by a second, but that was only
for a transient.  I haven't chased it.  I assumed it was when recovering from
not-enough satellites.  (I'm running them inside, poor signal.)