[time-nuts] Form Factor and such, Big Picture

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Fri Dec 24 00:35:04 UTC 2010

I think the ADSP-stamp is about $100 overpriced at least. there are boards
available with more capability for less. There is an old saying that noone
was ever fired for buying IBM, maybe that's why AD charges what they do.
meantime, microchip is laughing all the way to the bank...
That said, your board is about right if that is the price for the
development system. I do appreciate it was started for your own use.
Certainly the fpga and blackfin will do the job along with some good front
end electronics!
Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Don

Javier Herrero
> Simply ask ;)
>
> Seriously, I think that this kind of things are not too much money, like
> for example the ADSP-BF537 Stamp from Analog Devices
> http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=ADZS-BF537-STAMP-ND
>
> We are not building this one in large quantities, but we've used it as
> an starting point for several projects (see the space projects section
> on my web... all of them have one or more inside ;) )
>
> Do you think that the STAMP from ADI is too expensive? :)
>
> Regards,
>
> Javier
>
> El 23/12/2010 21:52, Don Latham escribió:
>> Gosh, Javier, I went to your website, and found one of my favorite
>> peeves:
>> it says "low cost" without a hint of the price. I've found that this
>> combination usually means "way out of my price class" or, "if you have
>> ask, it's too high", or "low cost for a big company with a research
>> budget".
>> Sorry, just my prejudices showing.
>> Don
>>
>> Javier Herrero

>>> If you are not planifying to use an embedded operating system like
>>> uClinux or embedded linux, no need for external RAM or ROM. There are
>>> lot of ARMs from several manufacturers with 256kB flash and 64kB RAM or
>>> more for<$20, with a nice set of peripherals (USB, UARTs, CAN, even
>>> Ethernet without the need of an external phy). Software tools can range
>>> from free (GCC + eclipse) to quite expensive (IAR).
>>>
>>> If you plan to use an embedded operating system, then more RAM, more
>>> ROM...
>>>
>>> We've an embedded processor board that includes a Blackfin, 16 or 32MB
>>> flash, 32 or 64MB RAM and a 250,000 gate FPGA, and belive me, it is not
>>> so expensive (and if it would be interesting for a project like this,
>>> we
>>> could try to make a series with special time-nuts price)
>>> http://www.hvsistemas.com/en/prod/H8606.html
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Javier
>>>
>>> --
>>> Javier Herrero                            EMAIL:
>>> jherrero at hvsistemas.com
>>> Chief Technology Officer
>>> HV Sistemas S.L.                          PHONE:         +34 949 336
>>> 806
>>> Los Charcones, 17                         FAX:           +34 949 336
>>> 792
>>> 19170 El Casar - Guadalajara - Spain      WEB:
>>> http://www.hvsistemas.com

>>> and follow the instructions there.
>>>

> --
> Javier Herrero                            EMAIL: jherrero at hvsistemas.com
> Chief Technology Officer
> HV Sistemas S.L.                          PHONE:         +34 949 336 806
> Los Charcones, 17                         FAX:           +34 949 336 792
> 19170 El Casar - Guadalajara - Spain      WEB: http://www.hvsistemas.com

"Neither the voice of authority nor the weight of reason and argument are
as significant as experiment, for thence comes quiet to the mind."
R. Bacon
"If you don't know what it is, don't poke it."
Ghost in the Shell

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLP
17850 Six Mile Road