[time-nuts] Speaking of counters...

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Sun Dec 26 04:31:02 UTC 2010

Burt wrote:

>What is the groups thoughts on the HP 5345A?

I have several and like them, aside from the screaming switching
power supplies that will give you a splitting headache in 5-10
minutes.  Even the very loud fan (as loud as a 3585A spectrum
analyzer, which sounds like a 757 taking off) doesn't mask the awful
switcher din.  There are two switchers (+/- 5 V), and the oscillators
are not synchronized, so they beat with each other.  Unquestionably
the most obnoxious noisemakers I've ever experienced.

Some parts are getting hard to come by.

Speaking of the fan, note that HP strongly recommends removing the
air filters, if they are still present.

Best regards,

Charles