[time-nuts] HP 54100 scope eproms images to Diddiers site Ko4bb

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 01:27:25 UTC 2010

Stanley might be a very good idea.
The 54100s were dated 1984 and by golly thats kind of the life expectancy of
a eprom.
Granted if I erased and reprogrammed them they would be good for quite a
while.
Unfortunately though I have been capturing the eproms of new gear I have
picked up and putting them on Diddiers site, I kind of did not go into this
particular unit.
Sloppy
I started gathering this info when I purchased a nice modern usb eprom
programmer a year ago. Makes it all very easy.
I suppose the only real excuse I have is I dislike messing with working
older equipment.
Cause more trouble that way.
Good news is the 54100 does work but there are 3 functions I need to stay
clear of. Two I can recover from by powering off. The 3rd was a real tough
one. Had to pull the memory board and let the charge drain off so it was
very very reset. Won't be trying that function again.
But the scope basics are indeed still all there. Trigger timbase verticals
etc. Just missing several fancy functions that I actually never used.
So a 54501 must be a really nice scope I will have to look it up.
Only other thing is that the 54100 service manually really does not help you
find the bad eprom out of the 12 in the unit. Though I have a hunch. These
special functions may live in the last 2 eproms. I may simply pull them and
see what happens.
Regards
Paul.