[time-nuts] Happy New Year from Melbourne UTC+10

Michael Poulos poulosmd at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 14:32:56 UTC 2010

swingbyte wrote:
> First New Year at home ( 20 week old baby ) fortunately the neighbours
> have let off a few fireworks.

Happy New Decade, mate! (and thanks for that quirk in Strine, too!) In
America, we don't "let off" fireworks, but instead "set" them off or
light them off. (possibly Chicago-specific for the latter) In the USA
Navy, they "light off" boilers, creating a Navy-specific term. If you
want fireworks on a New Year's, try Napoli Italia. The Italiani go nuts
on a New Year's with them, and also throw old items over the side from
their apartments too. Walking the streets with firecrackers can get
dangerous! I was there for the Dec 31 1989 New Year's.