[time-nuts] Problems with Garmin Nuvi

William H. Fite omniryx at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 17:45:07 UTC 2010

Alas, Garmin cannot run itself with a particular focus on your neighborhood
or mine, something that New Yorkers have been learning about their city
government this past week.

Of course it is annoying when an address is off.  But, in the first place,
the error may have occurred long before the data got to the cartographers,
as you pointed out in some detail.  Beyond that...well, come take my course
in error processes.  In that course, I tell the students that perhaps the
most compelling lesson they will learn is that....s*** happens.

My point in my earlier reply is that the problem is far too complex and
multifaceted to be dismissed as "shoddy work."

Obviously, I want it to happen to someone else.  You and I are certainly in
agreement there.

Bill